Wednesday, October 11, 2017

JE Labs Simple 46


I've been hoarding type 46 power tubes gathered from radio shows I attended with my buddy Chong in the late 90s. Building an SE 46 amp was in my to do list when I packed up for Manila in '08. But things got in the way. Finally, after a round trip across the Pacific, the amp has come into fruition.


Given its designation, one would think that it is just a 45 with dual grids. However, aside from the UX-5 tube socket requirement, the 46 is not quite a 45. It only puts out 1250 mWatts, 750 mWs less than the 45's 2000 mWs. Maximum plate dissipation with grid 2 tied to the plate is 5.5W compared to 10W for the 45. Although it will perform very well loaded with a 5k primary Z output transformer, the textbook recommended load is closer to 7k, due to its higher plate resistance of 2380 ohms vs. 1700 ohms for the 45.

46 tube base
diagram

chassis is punched out and ready for painting

It's been over 20 years since the Simple 45/2A3 was uploaded to the now defunct DIY section of the old Angela Instruments website. So I wanted to reprise that old-school topology with a twist. I considered retaining the octal base and using a grid capped 6F5 or a UX6 based + grid capped type 75, as a tribute to Asano-san. 🙏


However, since I am in loctal mode, I settled on the 7B4 hi-mu triode which is more in unison with the simple theme. The 7B4 is readily available NOS and can be had for less than $5 each from tube dealers. Tube rollers take note, even if loctal tubes are boxed/labelled RCA, Tung Sol, Raytheon, etc. most of them came from the Sylvannia factory in Emporium PA. 😞 

under the hood


!!!WARNING!!!

The voltages found in this circuit can be lethal! Build at your own risk!!!


JEL Simple 46 schematic

Adjust the dropping resistor* (use at least a 10W) so that the operating point for the 46 tube is as close as possible to the tube manual specified 250V max. plate voltage x 22 ma. current draw = 5.5W.  Ideally, the 46 should see 285 volts at the plate - 35V in the cathode = 250V. As shown in the schematic, I am still running my output tubes about 8% over because I was anxious to listen and got lazy to lower the B+ further. 😎


The big surprise was, subjectively, the triode-wired 46 sounds more powerful and authoritative especially in the lower register than the 45. It sounds like the union of virtues between the dark and mythical 10/VT25  + the refreshing airiness of a 45. I've been listening to this amp for over three months and haven't had the itch to switch on my other amps. 😄

CODA


Left to Right - Globe 46, ST 46, ST 45 and 2A3

Globe tubes look really cool and usually sound more lush than their ST counterparts. I personally prefer a Globe 45 over the later ST glass bottled samples. However in the case of the 46, the difference is not as apparent and close to negligible to my ears, So save your $$s and do something less nerdy, like going out on a date. 😉

Addendum


I received this email recently from a seasoned DIYer/audio enthusiast known in various audio forums as Salectric.

"I just saw your blog post about your Simple 46 amp and I read the question someone posed in the Comment section about a suitable power transformer. I actually had Edcor build a custom PT for my 46 amps and the voltages worked out perfectly so I recommend it to anyone wanting to build a 46. I don't know if the particular unit is listed on their website but it should be available through the part number which is the Edcor XPWR 258-120.

The B+ windings have two secondary voltages. It is 345-235-0-235-345 @ 300ma. The purpose of the two voltage taps is to let the transformer function for either choke input or cap input. The lower voltage windings with a 5U4GB and cap input filter give a roughly 290v B+, and so do the higher voltage windings with a 5R4GY and choke input. With a little loss in the OPT and a 32v bias, the 46 has almost exactly 250v across it. There is also a 5V@3A and 6.3VCT.

I ordered it this way because I wanted to compare choke input and cap input with as close to exactly the same conditions as possible. (I tried a 5U4GB with the choke input as well as cap input just to be as consistent as possible.) The best sounding setup was the choke input with 5R4GY so that's how mine is set up. The Edcor is super-quiet. No mechanical buzzing at all."


19 comments:

  1. Nicely done! I too have had little urge to listen to anything else since I finished my SE46 amps. Which PriZ did you settle on - 5K or 7K? Have you tried both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I am using the 7k tap on the Noguchi PMF-10WS and listening mostly through a conical SPU 1s but I've also listened extensively at 5k with the Finemet Noguchi FM6WS on my breadboard chassis using the type 75 as input/driver + DL103 cartridge. After over 20 years of DIYing/listening higher primary Z (or "reflected" via mismatch at the secondary) usually gives a leaner more analytic sound and a lower primary Z usually = warmer sound. But the difference is not drastic, more like a fine tuning tweak.

      Delete
  2. I have -- more than a few -- 46s collecting dust in a remote corner of the basement myself. And (though I am not proud to admit it) a pair of rather nice Electra-Print OPTs for them... and other stuff from a never-consummated project "inspired" by Gary Kaufman & James (Jamie) Melhuish. I should probably do something about that some time...

    This looks dandy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mrh!

      You should build an SE46 amp, I'm pretty sure you'll like it just as much as your Simple 45, if not better ;)

      Cheers!

      JE

      Delete
  3. JE, Could you recommend a PT that would work for this? The closest I can find is the Edcor XPWR009 which is 550V (275-0-275) at 175mA center tapped, 6.3V at 4A and 5V at 3A. Hammond makes one similiar to this as well. I'm digging these amps and my wife likes the look and sound of the SE 6BQ5 stereo amp I built. Thank you for these beautiful pictures and amps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Edcor might work, but you'll have to experiment with the dropping resistor to get proper operating points because the 120ma. I used was already well overrated for a 2 channel circuit.

      Good luck with you project!

      JE

      Delete
  4. To continue with the loktal theme you could use 5AZ4 rectifier, kind of like a 5y3. At least I plan to.

    Regards
    Robert Lees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a 5U4 because my power transformer had a 5V @ 4A rectifier winding. I used the 5AZ4 in the loctal preamp project - http://jelabs.blogspot.com/2017/12/jel-loctal-preamp.html

      Cheers!

      JE

      Delete
    2. Robert, did you build the amp with the 5AZ4 yet? On my shelf of parts I found an unopened Hammond 290CAX which has 275-0-275, 115ma, and 5v@2A(which is why I was asking) JE mentioned on that I would have to play with the dropping resistor.

      Delete
  5. I want to build your Simple 46 amp. They sent me 7b6 by mistake, I will also obtain some 7b4 but should I just keep the 7b6 to also try in the Simple 46 amp? What is the main difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you google the tube data for the 7B4 and 7B6 you will see that the pin connections are different. Thus, you cannot use those tubes interchangeably. You have to hardwire the socket for a specific tube.

      JE

      Delete
    2. Thank you JE, and also thank you for sharing such great information and schematics generally. I will build the Simple 46 with the 74B but perhaps in the future consider adapting a 6SN7 with enough gain to eliminate the need for a preamp. I assume your Simple 46 with the 7B4 still needs a preamp (?).

      Delete
    3. Please note that the 6SN7 (or the 7N7 loctal) are medium-mu triodes. They have _less_ gain than high-mu triodes - 6SL7, 7F7, 7B4, 7B6, etc.

      Either way you need a preamp for best performance.

      JE

      Delete
  6. Hi Joel!
    I just built my version of your simple 46 design. One my best so far. My first DIY SET was a version of your 2A3 DLX design, back in 2001. I would like to send photos, but don't know how?
    rgds, JNL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send another comment with your email address and I will reply to you instead of publishing it.

      JE

      Delete
    2. Hi Joseph!

      I loved this write up. In 2017 I designed and built a 12AX7 half, DCed to a Type 46. Much like you, I preferred the 46 to a Type 45, especially when playing the lower registers of a grand piano. The 46 plays linearly down there.

      Just this last week, I designed a 7B4 DCed to a Type 46 circuit, mono. I truly want to hear this !! The design in now my DIY queue - to build Q1 2022. Your superb write-up here was inspirational. Thank you very much. JDM

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the kind words!

      I don't publish contact info so I forwarded your other message.

      Cheers!

      Delete
    4. JE, Great work and great website. Have you ever thought of doing the SRPP drive stage from the 45 for the 46?

      Delete
    5. Not really because there's something pure about the sound of a simple hi-mu/lo gm input/driver stage even if it's not as extended in the frequency extremes as the SRPP, plate choke loaded med-mu, etc.

      Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete